Composition of the approval file of a self-employed agent
The self-employed proxy cannot have an agency.
Profile of the self-employed agent (Articles 329, 502, 506, 515 of the CIMA Code)
To be a self-employed agent of a Broker or General Agent or Insurance Company, the candidate must:
- either have an Insurance Technician Diploma (DTA) from the International Insurance Institute (IIA) or any other diploma deemed equivalent by the IIA and have completed a six (06) month internship in an insurance organization ;
- either have the IIA Diploma of Technical Insurance Agent (DATA) or any other diploma deemed equivalent by the IIA and have at least two (02) years’ professional experience in the insurance sector ;
- Meet the conditions of professional competence provided for in Article 329 of the CIMA Code ;
- Fulfil the conditions of good repute (article 506 of the CIMA Code).
The Insurance Company having mandated the General Agent or having appointed its agents or the Broker shall send one (01) stamped request to the Minister in charge of the Insurance Sector (Article 518 of the CIMA Code) accompanied by the following documents:
- two (02) 4×4 photos
- a certified true copy of the birth certificate less than six (06) months old ;
- a criminal record extract from bulletin N°3 less than three (03) months old ;
- a curriculum vitae dated and signed ;
- a declaration form (CIMA model), signed by the Public Prosecutor at the Court of First Instance
- a certified true copy of the diploma appearing in the above-mentioned list ;
- a certificate of presentation of the original of the diploma ;
- a booklet or certificate of professional internship if applicable ;
- a certificate of nationality ;
- a collaboration agreement signed between the Self-employed Agent and his Principal
- a residence card for foreigners ;
- any other document deemed necessary.